- The new stadium – Omaha unveiled its shiny new big-league style $131 million dollar stadium.
- George W. Bush - Threw out first pitch and out-chatted ESPN analysts in the booth. (game 1)
- Five infielders – Pulling out all the stops to beat South Carolina, Texas A&M pulls an outfielder and inserts a fifth fielder into the infield (game 4). They lost anyway.
- Kent Emanuel - UNC’s freshman pitcher threw a complete game shutout to send the Texas Longhorns home as the first 2011 0-2 team. (game 5)
- Wicked Weather – We knew things could get ugly when the Weather Channel crews showed up in Omaha for Day 3 of the series. High winds and rain from a storm cell that generated numerous tornadoes west of town caused the Florida-Vandy game to be postponed delayed until the next morning. The entire stadium, including the press box, was evacuated upon arrival of the storm.
- California Bears – Thanks to the fundraising efforts of boosters, the Cal Bears overcame elimination of the baseball program and qualified to compete in Omaha’s eight-team tournament.
Outfield Fence – Created controversy in the first game of the series when a Florida home run ball was rule a double by the home plate umpire.
- Connor Harrell – Vanderbilt’s centerfielder became the “Home Run King” of TD Ameritrade Park hitting two bombs during the series. He says he was just trying to hit line drives and was able to get them up into the jet stream.
- South Carolina - Won the “battle” and their second national championship in two years after overcoming injuries, loaded bases, extra innings and the nations top pitchers.
- Scott Wingo - Second baseman for South Carolina, came of age as a college baseball icon, earning the designation as Most Outstanding Player for turning multiple double-plays along with great hitting and base running.
Find everything you could possibly want in officially licensed College World Series gear at The Dugout – your one stop for the most officially licensed 2011 College World Series apparel!
The Dugout, located right across the street from the Road To Omaha statue outside TD Ameritrade Stadium. If you can’t make it to Omaha, simply follow this link to Dugouthats.com. You’ll save 20% on your order when you enter the coupon code CB360!