Arkansas, LSU and then Cal State Fullerton all locked-up spots in the 2009 College World Series by sweeping Florida State, Rice and Louisville, respectively, Saturday. Here are a few CWS facts about those three teams and their head coaches:
- The Razorbacks are Omaha bound for the first time since 2004.
- This is their 6th CWS overall.
- Head coach Dave Van Horn will coach at the CWS for the fourth time. He took his alma mater in 2004, and he guided Nebraska to the program’s first Omaha berths in 2001 & 2002.
- The Tigers are in their second straight College World Series.
- This is the 6th time overall and the first time since 2003-’04 that the Tigers have gone to the CWS in back-to-back seasons.
- It’s LSU’s 15th overall CWS.
- Paul Mainieri is coaching at the CWS for the third time. Prior to leading LSU to Omaha last year, he coached Notre Dame to its first CWS since 1957 when the Irish qualified in 2002.
Cal State Fullerton
- The Titans are in the College World Series for the 16th time overall.
- Fullerton has qualified for Omaha in 3 of the last 4 and 5 of the last 8 seasons.
- Fullerton head coach Dave Serrano will coach in his 2nd CWS in the last 3 years. He took UC Irvine to Omaha in 2007 (the Anteaters beat the Titans in an elimination game that year.)
As noted in the bullet points above, Dave Van Horn, Paul Mainieri and Dave Serrano have now all coached two different schools to the College World Series in this decade.